Claudia Pennacchiotti, Elisa Butali, Valentina Tudisca, Adriana Valente (Institute for Research on Population and Social Policies of the National Research Council of Italy, Rome, Italy)
BUILDING & EVALUATING OER
About This Course
OLA MOOC: “Building & Evaluating OER” gives the learner an overview of the theoretical educational approach, including practical examples, proposed by the European project OLA. The course aims to make learners able to design, implement and evaluate educational scenarios that are in line with the framework of Open Educational Resources (OER), as proposed by UNESCO, and OLA requirements. The course is structured in 2 Modules: Module 1 “Building OER” and Module 2 “Evaluating OER”.
In Module 1 the learner becomes aware of the new educational environment and dimension that OER can contribute to creating and of the meaning of «accessibility» referred to as an educational resource. Moreover, learners’ attention is directed on the critical analysis of digital educational resources and images, an issue that needs to be promoted in the classroom in order to avoid the vehicle – even unconsciously - explicit and implicit stereotypes.
Acquired that, the learner is guided in the creation process of an OLA educational scenario. By following Module 2 “Evaluating OER”, the learner becomes able to implement effective evaluation plans to evaluate both student competences, also considering a participatory approach, and the quality of educational scenarios. For each learning unit, we provide a video presentation, the relative slides in pdf, a list of References to deepen the subject.
The learner should become able to:
- How to search for resources in important European and International OER repositories using keywords and metadata
- produce scenarios, including original or reusable contents, in line with OER requirements;
- design educational resources that take into account the educational context and cultural dimension and accessibility criteria
- consider the Agenda 2030 goals (in terms of quality education, gender equality, accessibility to vulnerable people) in the scenarios produced
- design scenarios adopting the OLA pedagogical approach that promote Literacy competence (communication skills), Digital competencies, Personal, social, and learning to learn competence, Cultural awareness, and expression competence
- create accessible scenarios in terms of multimodality and taking into account different perspectives as well as different learning and teaching styles
- identify subject, argument, methodologies, tools for the scenario building
- use the technical tools provided for scenario design (scripts, scenario forms).
- build scenarios following the 4 scenario creation phases: knowing, designing, implementing, evaluating
- design an educational scenario by competences and/or learning outcomes
- critically analyze digital resources, detecting explicit/implicit stereotypes conveyed by texts and images in view of promoting a critical approach in filtering and assessing information, managing information overload
- design adequate tools and approaches to evaluate students learning process (defining what to evaluate, how to evaluate
- formative/summative evaluation-, giving a role to the students/teachers/class).
- evaluate the quality of an educational scenario according to OER and OLA approach
Key competences that are promoted by this MOOC are the following:
- Literacy competences. Skills to communicate in a variety of situations and adapt their communication to the situation requirements
- Digital competences include the confidence critical and responsible use of digital technology for learning, the ability to understand opportunities and limitations of the digital environment, to support social inclusion through digital technology, reflective and critical attitude.
- Personal, social, and learning to learn competences: the ability to work and communicate constructively in different environments and to collaborate in teams, express and understand different viewpoints and feel empathy.
- Cultural awareness and expression competences: Having an understanding of and respect for how ideas and meanings are creatively expressed and communicated in different cultures, considering different ways of communicating ideas.
It would be preferable to have already attended “OLA MOOC: What OER are”
- Module 1: BUILDING OER
- Module 2: EVALUATING OER
A certificate of achievement is provided to you if you successfully complete this course. The Certificate is free of charge. To complete this course, you must obtain at least a mark of 60% in answering the evaluation questionnaires included in the course at the end of the learning units or the modules.
Disclaimer and Copyright
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License