This page describes how the OLA MOOC website is managed under the provisions of Article 13 and Article 14 of European Union GDPR - General Data protection Regulation (679/2016/EU) in relation to the processing of the personal data of its users.
Purpose of the personal data processing
Personal data is processed according to all purposes related to design and delivery of OLA MOOC, that include:
- purposes related to monitoring, analyzing and assessing the use of the service;
- purposes related to teaching, learning, and research.
Data processing procedure
In relation to the stated purposes, the data processing is carried out with digital tools. In any case the protection is ensured by password.
Data Controller: The Data Controller is CNR. The contact point at the Data controller is the director of CNR-IRPPS, who can be contacted at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. CNR has designated the Data Protection Officer (RPD or DPO) who can be contacted at the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
Responsible for Data Processing is the director of CNR-IRPPS, who can be contacted at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Data processing will be fully compliant with the Regulation (EU)2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of April 27th 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation).
1. Information that OLA MOOC collects from you (including Personal Information)
2. Cookies and tracking technologies on the OLA MOOC site
3. How your information is used
4. How your information is shared
5. How to manage your personal information
6. Storage & security
8. Contact information
1. Information that OLA MOOC collect from you (including personal information)
OLA MOOC directly collect information when you:
- sign up for an OLA MOOC user account and create an OLA MOOC user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- request a certificate of accomplishment (a virtual certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your OLA MOOC course);
- send email messages to OLA MOOC (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys in anonymised form;
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the OLA MOOC Site.
OLA MOOC also indirectly collect usage information about your visit to the OLA MOOC Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and tracking technologies.
OLA MOOC require your Personal Information (information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you) only in limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an OLA MOOC user account (name, username, email address);
- earn/request a certificate of accomplishment (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that OLA MOOC associates the information that OLA MOOC collect directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the OLA MOOC Site, for example:
- in your OLA MOOC account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other OLA MOOC Site users);
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the OLA MOOC Site (noting that in some cases, this information may be shared with a third party that provides tools and assistance for the OLA MOOC courses).
OLA MOOC encourage you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the OLA MOOC Site. (If you later choose to delete your OLA MOOC account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below).
- based on your cookie settings, OLA MOOC track information indicating, among other things, which pages of the OLA MOOC Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- OLA MOOC may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use OLA MOOC native mobile apps) you used when accessing the OLA MOOC Site, and OLA MOOC may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity;
- Tracking is performed via Google Analytics based upon anonimyzation of IP addresses;
- OLA MOOC may track and collect information from emails that OLA MOOC sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the OLA MOOC Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the OLA MOOC Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help OLA MOOC gather information about how visitors use the OLA MOOC Site and monitor OLA MOOC Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the OLA MOOC Site before and may have any personal preferences.
OLA MOOC use only technical, first-party and third-party cookies to ensure the smooth functioning of the platform and to make improvements.
Websites and third-party services
How to disable cookies
Disabling all cookies
You may, if you wish, deny consent to the placing of cookies by using the cookie management setting tools of your browser. If you would prefer not to enable cookies, you will still be able to navigate OLA MOOC, but certain features might not function correctly.
The links below provide instructions on how to disable cookies in all mainstream browsers (in case of other browsers please consult the corresponding help menu).
3. How your information is used
OLA MOOC use information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Create, administer, provide, and teach online courses.
- Operate and improve the OLA MOOC Site – This includes personalizing the OLA MOOC Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Improve OLA MOOC service – This includes enabling you to navigate the OLA MOOC Site, to enroll and participate in courses on the OLA MOOC Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to obtain certificates of accomplishment.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the OLA MOOC Site – This includes tracking OLA MOOC Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the OLA MOOC Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and OLA MOOC Site maintenance, updates, course offerings, news via email and on course forums.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of social science and education –
- Track OLA MOOC Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and, in some specific cases, to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to course partners and external audiences.
4. How your information is shared
OLA MOOC may share information, including Personal Information, only as needed to fulfill the relevant purpose(s), with the following third parties:
- staff authorised to process personal data;
- European Union;
- organisations partnering with OLA MOOC to offer MOOC, such as organisations participating in the respective EU-funded projects;
In addition to that, OLA MOOC shares information with other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the OLA MOOC Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information. This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the OLA MOOC Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication.
OLA MOOC may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, OLA MOOC may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
5. How to manage your personal information
Access and correct your personal information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your OLA MOOC account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your OLA MOOC account. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any certificate of accomplishment you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses.
OLA MOOC encourage you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the OLA MOOC Site.
Note that usernames cannot ever be changed. This is a OLA MOOC system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the OLA MOOC Site, OLA MOOC encourage you to use discretion in choosing your username.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
You may object to, or request that OLA MOOC stop, its use of your Personal Information by contacting email@example.com. Please note that, if you choose to restrict OLA MOOC ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with the service offered on the OLA MOOC Site, you may not be able to establish an OLA MOOC user account or enroll for a course, and OLA MOOC Site may not be able to provide you with this service.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your OLA MOOC account and Personal Information, you should send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
With respect to your OLA MOOC account, OLA MOOC will permanently:
- deactivate your OLA MOOC account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from OLA MOOC email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, OLA MOOC will permanently delete your OLA MOOC account profile Personal Information from the OLA MOOC Site. By erasing the Personal Information in your OLA MOOC account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the OLA MOOC Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below. These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for operation of the OLA MOOC Site.
- deletion will not apply to your activity on any forum on OLA MOOC(publishing of posts and commenting on other users' posts),
- deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the OLA MOOC system,
- OLA MOOC will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to enhance the service offered. These archives may be used to produce encrypted research data packages,
- OLA MOOC will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
OLA MOOC will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services. If you enroll in a course, your Personal Information will be retained for as long as needed to provide you with services.
6. Storage & securityOLA MOOC Site stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers located at GRNET [https://grnet.gr/en/company/]. The integrity of the data is ensured through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. There are security and backup mechanisms that ensure that the data of OLA MOOC site can be restored in any case of corruption or catastrophy.
8. Contact informationIf you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that OLA MOOC maintains about you, please contact the Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
If you consider the answer provided to be unsatisfactory, you may lodge, free of charge, a complaint with the Italian Authority for Data Protection - Garante per la protezione dei dati personali (www.garanteprivacy.it).